Saturday, December 4, 2010

Captian's Log-Thanksgiving/Pretzel party (St. Kitts edition


Hello dear friends and turkey eaters. We had a lovely Thanksgiving in St. Kitts this year...well actually 3 of them. The first was at work, where (this may blow peoples minds) we had to WORK still. We are only allowed one day off all semester (16 weeks) so Thanksgiving day is still a working day here. Lame. But this year I was better prepared to buckle down and not be weepy (like last year). In my mind I firmly kept telling myself, "This is not thanksgiving like at home but a day to be thankful." Or something of the like. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. (okay, well honestly the Christmas season is like the ultimate but for days of the year Thanksgiving is my favorite) To be away from my family is super bone/mind crushing so I didn't think of them or call, sorry fam. I just learned my lesson from last year and didn't want to be mopey for four plus days. So work...yes, 16 little 4 and 5 year old joys of my kindergarten met their parents at noon and we all sat down (well they did) with the Ross Prep School community for a huge thanksgiving meal. It was crazy, busy, not relaxing, work but the kids looked like they had a blast. "Nough said.

Thanksgiving night we baked some pies and food and met our small church family at the Marriott golf course clubhouse. Last year we had about 80 people show up. This year I counted at least 120! We were knocked off our feet by how many students and family showed up. St. Kitts shares the island with a nursing school, med school and of course our 'ol pal the vet school. Some nursing and med students showed up whom I'd never seen and were welcomed in. It wasn't a relaxing evening but an awesome time to see so many people connecting and enjoying a meal together. I was aching for some turkey so I ended up snatching pieces from the plates I was delivering...
Resting while the turkey cooks

On Saturday, Thanksgiving had come! I baked 21 lb  Tomas, named from our friend the hurricane, for a few hours and chilled by the pool. Everyone else was still studying so I was content to call home and hear about the sisters thanksgiving. Way to go, Jaym Braden with cooking her first turkey! The Reids, Pilchers and Moses parents all seemed to have a restful day too. We ate Tomas with some close friends from Ross and finally had our restful Thanksgiving day.
Pretzel Party!
 For my burday (aka birthday, Nov. 22) Josiah gave me the best present of all~ a Pilcher Pretzel Party! The Pilcher tradition is to do it the day after thanksgiving but we had it the weekend before. This is the best way to eat pretzels, fresh from the oven, hand rolled, lyed up ad delicious. Getting the lye was a bit of a fiasco for Josiah. Apparently all the Kittians think he is a terrorist who is plotting something....they just don't get the yumminess of fresh baked pretzels and the hard work that goes into them. We w
Birthday Pretzel

Our pretzel Rollers!







No comments:

Post a Comment