Monday, November 9, 2009

Captain's Log #12

Captain's Log #12

The weekend was full of wonderful, extraordinarily ORDINARY things. No beaches, no bikinis (aka Joe), no pool, little beer, no snorkeling. But we did have nice Car-fixing party(ies). 

Car- Breakdown Party #1
        Karen and I enjoy a tour around the island while Isaiah, her baby, sleeps in the back. After a bumpy jaunt up a dirt hill we discover Rawlin's Plantation, the original house-now hotel. Very lovely, 18th century grounds complete with sugar mill cottages and other old stuff. Rounding the northern part of th island and navigating through some one-lane, pot holed streets little NSI Hulk, the full title is the Not So Incredible Hulk (or our green car), fails to accelerate. I pull over and she no workey. So it's Saturday, the husbands are busy with their scholastic studies. Eventually we get a hold of Joe and Taylor and him ride to the rescues. Another good island fact; NOTHING IS OPEN ON THE WEEKENDS~ 

Car- Breakdown Party #2 
         After a delightful morning at church, brunch with Josiah, and a movie at Karen's she begins to drive me home since it is sunday and our car is still broken on the other side of the island. Very kind of her. We stop at the cars station, fill up the tank, turn the key to go, key brakes off, bottom of key stuck in ignition, Jakki no likey, husbands studying still, Karen and Jakki=stranded again. Joe and Taylor's car come to the rescue again bringing other keys.

Car-fixing Party #1ish
        Karen rescues Joe and Jakki by driving us around town to pick up parts and then to the car to fix it. All good now, up and running NSI HULK.

I am subbing lots this week at the Prep School since they had standard testing. I still am teaching music on thursdays and have about 13 students for voice and piano!

Saturday night my choir, the St. Christopher Chorale Society was part of the St. Kitts Social Security Concert. It was held in the Eastern Caribbean Bank auditorium, which is the nicest, probably the only auditorium on the island. We were there early, which apparently is not normal here. The whole "island time" thing. Some performers just didn't bother to show up at all. I'm not used to the lack of responsibility but whatever, I guess I need to get used to it. I accompanied on the keyboard one song with our choir and then we had 2 accapella ones. We sang well and the audience loved our version of "Old McDonald" (SATB). I look forward to more concerts and rehearsals, like the one tonight. There are some super sweet people in the choir and I love getting to know them. I am the youngest by far, one of the only 2 Americans, and one of the about 4 actual musicians. I like being a minority.

Thank you to all who sent me cards and notes this week! I finally got the halloween cards and leaves! I was ready to cry because I was so happy to get pictures of the nieces and nephews! Thank you thank you.

Captain Jak




No comments:

Post a Comment