Sunday, October 4, 2009

Captain's Log #3

STAR DATE: Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Hello MON!!!! (spoken in a subtle Caribbean accent)

We're still trying to get Internet and phones so I can't call peeps yet. Hopefully, dear God, tomorrow morning. short and sweet email.

Josiah and I walked down the street to our friend Taylors house who is also in the vet prep program at Ross and in our Orientation group. He is from Utah (not a mormon) and I 'm convinced that he and Joe will be 1) the Funniest/Slackers of their class and 2) a great friend. We've already done everything together and I feel like I have another brother here! Thank you , Jesus!

We got a "nice" (and I use nice in quotations because every car here is literally five thousand dollars overpriced and crappy) car on Friday. Its a 1999 dark green Mazda and a hatchbackish thing. Wow I'll jst send pictures. It works and has AC and that makes me happy. I really like the no speed limits, optional everything style of driving. Josiah is right at home thanks to Dad-Guy Moses and go cart racing of his early days! You have to watch out for those pot holes and mongeese...yes plurel of mongoose which look like ferrets and run across the road.

Our orientation group leader, Amy is super helpful and we've been very fond of our group of Off-Campus- Housing people. Most students have to live in the small residence halls on campus but we all got off because of the amount of people and the dogs/married thing. WE love our apt too. I can't Wait to show you pics of the inside. We haven't hung out a lot outside of the bedroom and office because they have ac and so far its nice to spend a few hours not dripping sweat. Sexy, huh? Another plus to our house is that you can flush the toilet or turn on the faucet and not get your tootsies burned off if your in the shower! Water pressure awesomenesss!!!

I can't believe I spent a whole paragraph on the burned tushies and now I have to walk home. Joe and I are making dinner then I am going to a choir rehearsal. Oh, I'll tell more about that but in brief I am the only certified music teachers on the island and when that got out I talked tot the housing director on campus, Keith, who told me about this British director, Veronica Phillipson. She called me and sounded super excited to have me here, offered, resources,and invited me to an informal rehearsal tonight at her house. Isn't that simply amazing!? It sounds like they do some great music too like Faurè's Requiem, Breckner, and Britten. (YAY MOM!!!) I'll let you know how it goes i am just so thrilled to have anther colleague/mentor here.

Peace and love my friends,
Jakki (and Josiah, but he's playing cribbage with Taylor's roommate, Danielle! Right at home, here =-)




No comments:

Post a Comment