STAR DATE: 09.04.2009. st. kitts, west indies...
I started work on Thursday at the Ross University School of Veterinary Medicines Preparatory School. In case you have been out of the loop; I am a part time teacher of music for the grades pre-k through ninth grade. The Prep school is intended for vet students kids and I am super excited to be there on Monday and start meeting them! We have teacher in service days this week but it is weird because they are Thur, Fri, sat, and sun, then school on Monday and one more in service day next sat. If I was a full time teacher that would mean 10 work days in a row. Yikes. But I'm not so....rock on. I still get paid to attend the work shops and it is awesome to be in this community of teachers. We have started this training called Tribes and it focuses on learning communities. I can also buy college credits through the training which is awesome since as an Oregon Teacher you have to have graduate course continued credits within the first three years of your licensing. Ok, skip the boring part....
Did I tell you that I've gotten free food every work day? From baked goods and coffee to Indian and Chinese food at lunch the superintendent has bought us food. I love free food but who doesn't?
Oh! I also found out that I passed the praxis social studies tests that I took in July in Oregon and so I am endorsed to teach those too! Might help me get a full time job here too...
...As I said before, the teachers are all very welcoming and open. I was worried about feeling a part of the community since I'll just be there for one full day and after school lessons (I'll teach private voice and piano lessons to students who want them after school). However I've found a few other part time teachers too and the other ones don't even care that I'm part time. They actually seem super excited that I'm here to focus on music. I will only have each class for thirty minutes once a week, which is so little, but hopefully if they like me and can pay for me to teach another day than I will definitely! I've had several come up to me and ask to help with theater, dance, and singing in their classes and offer some brilliant suggestions. Sweet! Now to the planning part and I'm trying not to freak out because I still feel inadequate and very scared about the younger kids....remember I got certified and student taught in Middle school and HIGH school?!!! (aka not elementary)
Sorry this captains log is dry and boring but I wanted to give you a good picture of what I've been up too. Isn't that what most work is; dry and boring? In case you don't know this is my FIRST real, paid teaching job. I know, it's in another country and part time but HEY I ACTUALLY GET PAID TO DO WHAT I LOVE!!!! Amazing and awesome as it is I am so thankful to God for setting this up for me. Keep praying, or start, that I become a good teacher and one who the students look forward to having and they would actually learn, appreciate, and make quality music.
You are all awesome. Thanks for caring! Stay tuned.
Jakki
P.S. The tropical storm, Erica, has been hitting the island slowly and I guess gently the last couple days. Basically it is a lot of rain and wind but not much else. No worries. =-)
I started work on Thursday at the Ross University School of Veterinary Medicines Preparatory School. In case you have been out of the loop; I am a part time teacher of music for the grades pre-k through ninth grade. The Prep school is intended for vet students kids and I am super excited to be there on Monday and start meeting them! We have teacher in service days this week but it is weird because they are Thur, Fri, sat, and sun, then school on Monday and one more in service day next sat. If I was a full time teacher that would mean 10 work days in a row. Yikes. But I'm not so....rock on. I still get paid to attend the work shops and it is awesome to be in this community of teachers. We have started this training called Tribes and it focuses on learning communities. I can also buy college credits through the training which is awesome since as an Oregon Teacher you have to have graduate course continued credits within the first three years of your licensing. Ok, skip the boring part....
Did I tell you that I've gotten free food every work day? From baked goods and coffee to Indian and Chinese food at lunch the superintendent has bought us food. I love free food but who doesn't?
Oh! I also found out that I passed the praxis social studies tests that I took in July in Oregon and so I am endorsed to teach those too! Might help me get a full time job here too...
...As I said before, the teachers are all very welcoming and open. I was worried about feeling a part of the community since I'll just be there for one full day and after school lessons (I'll teach private voice and piano lessons to students who want them after school). However I've found a few other part time teachers too and the other ones don't even care that I'm part time. They actually seem super excited that I'm here to focus on music. I will only have each class for thirty minutes once a week, which is so little, but hopefully if they like me and can pay for me to teach another day than I will definitely! I've had several come up to me and ask to help with theater, dance, and singing in their classes and offer some brilliant suggestions. Sweet! Now to the planning part and I'm trying not to freak out because I still feel inadequate and very scared about the younger kids....remember I got certified and student taught in Middle school and HIGH school?!!! (aka not elementary)
Sorry this captains log is dry and boring but I wanted to give you a good picture of what I've been up too. Isn't that what most work is; dry and boring? In case you don't know this is my FIRST real, paid teaching job. I know, it's in another country and part time but HEY I ACTUALLY GET PAID TO DO WHAT I LOVE!!!! Amazing and awesome as it is I am so thankful to God for setting this up for me. Keep praying, or start, that I become a good teacher and one who the students look forward to having and they would actually learn, appreciate, and make quality music.
You are all awesome. Thanks for caring! Stay tuned.
Jakki
P.S. The tropical storm, Erica, has been hitting the island slowly and I guess gently the last couple days. Basically it is a lot of rain and wind but not much else. No worries. =-)
No comments:
Post a Comment