
CAPTAINS LOG #7. star date 10.08.2009, friday, 2:31pm.
This weeks teaching adventures...
The pictures are of my new friend, the wooden giraffe and my old friend, Josiah in our kitchen. I found the giraffe last weekend at Port Zante, where the enormous cruise ships come in every Saturday. A great group of girls, Karen (from PA), Jen (NYC), Kori (TX), Emily (TX), and I went shopping last Sat. and for lunch. I can't tell you how awesome it was because I was so blessed to spend time with these amazing women. The shopping isn't fantastic but some things, like my giraffe, were cheap and easy to get. Other things, like clothes and pretty much anything sustainable, is non existent here. We had a blast talking, getting to now one another more and walking around. Emily and Jen work full time at the Prep school with me and Karen and Kori I started our week day lunch club, when I'm not at work. I get the best of both worlds. For example, today we went to the Marriott Beach and went in the ocean and ate out. Loved it. It is times like now where I realize that I am living in the Caribbean and that is okay with me.
I got to teach music twice this week at the Ross Prep School. I also came and subbed for the 1st and 2nd grade class because their teacher, my dear friend, had to stay home with her daughter who had a fever. Success!!! Actually, I kicked butt, let's be true here. =-) I've realized that a good teacher, or a successful and liked teacher, isn't one that knows the subject really well but one that can be socially aware and flexible. I am finding that energy, enthusiasm, and kindness get me farther than my education. Although my masters in music ed is nice to have. I am able to plan more specifically and fully to the needs of the students. Hopefully they are actually learning something. I will have panic attacks when I realize that I am responsible for teaching a growing individual. That is a lot of responsibility.
On another note, I started a Halloween music lyric-writing composition contest at school. All the music classes are writing a new verse for the scary Halloween song, the "Ghost of John". I even included the teachers to write some. We will vote for the best/most singable lyrics and hopefully perform them at our morning assemblies. (Every morning from 8-8:10 all the classes meet in the library for a assembly, varying on what day or who presents. My goal is to have some classes or my piano students perform soon) Every body seems excited to participate in it and it's nice to be encouraged by their willingness to join in.
Please pray that we find tickets back from winter break for a decent price and that things will work out quickly and smoothly for bringing the dogs back with us. I really miss having them around. Kind of sick and sad, isn't it? If you see London or Treble please give them a hug for me.
We absolutely love skyping and although the three hour time difference to the west coast is hard we would love to try. I about lost it last week when I saw my neice and nephew and sister in law. They are just growing so fast and talking so much. I get worried that they won't recognize me when we see them again or worse that they will think the other aunts are cooler than me. (jk!! =-) Seriously, it is hard realizing that time keeps going back in the states and at home even when we aren't there to be a part of it. Any words and prayers for encouragement are so graciously appreciated.
Look at my summer tan....I showed it in Thermal activity.....actually i am just having fun with my computer...hehehe.We get to go hiking in Nevis tomorrow with the Holistic Club! I'll let you know how it goes.
Trust me--London misses you. She was jonesing to get up on the couch with Dan and I when we were watching Wolverine last night, but because of my huge belly all of us couldn't fit! So, my ever sensitive husband made a spot for her on the floor with a blanket and she curled right up next to his feet. Very cute!
ReplyDeleteGet tan for me...I'm starting to see veins on my stomach; I need sunshine! :)
Love you guys.
Janna
Hey....I'm feeling a bit the same way about my niece not recognizing me when we go home and getting worried that Isaiah won't recognize anyone and be all weird about family and that hurting their feelings, so I totally know how you're feeling in that respect! And I know we talked about everyone doing different things in their lives and that being weird that it's happening at the same time. It is definitely weird to think of everyone else carrying on their lives as normal at home while we're here in this still kind of strange situation! Anytime you want to talk about missing home or whatever just let me know because I'm probably feeling the same way!!! Love you new friend! :)
ReplyDeleteHi, Jakki! I have been talking to my 16-month old nephew through Skype for a long while now and it helps so much! I know he recognizes me (in fact, I had a friend in the room and when I had her say hi to him, he got all shy--so he knows me!). So, while it's not as good as in-person, it's the next best thing! I bet your niece and nephew will know who you are. Hope that makes you feel better about it!
ReplyDelete