CAPTAINS LOG 5. start date: 09.11.2009. Camps. Bayview. Basseterre. St. Kitts. West Indies
OUR HOME PHONE NUMBER: (free to call if you have a nationawide calling plan, a Oregon area code. PLEASE CALL ME! We just got a cordless and an answering machine too!)
541.227.5097
OUR ADDRESS: complicated. You have to send it to the Ross Campus and we can pick it up there for free.
For packages you need to send them but it IS WAY EXPENSIVE and we'd have ot pay duty and custom taxes and wait in line at the airport/post office.
Josiah (or Jaclyn) Moses
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
P.O. Box 334 Basseterre, St. Kitts, West Indies
OUR HOME PHONE NUMBER: (free to call if you have a nationawide calling plan, a Oregon area code. PLEASE CALL ME! We just got a cordless and an answering machine too!)
541.227.5097
OUR ADDRESS: complicated. You have to send it to the Ross Campus and we can pick it up there for free.
For packages you need to send them but it IS WAY EXPENSIVE and we'd have ot pay duty and custom taxes and wait in line at the airport/post office.
Josiah (or Jaclyn) Moses
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
P.O. Box 334 Basseterre, St. Kitts, West Indies
Well, a new place deserves new things and today I bought my first Bread Fruit Melon thingy. I think i understood that I need to cook it or boil it or put it in a stew to eat it. ("Taters, precious, what's taters?-Gollum) Interesting market place women who told me about it. Half of the words she said I really couldn't understand and I usually pride myself on being able to hear through accents. There is just something about the Kittian accent here that makes some people sound like they're speaking another language. I love it and yet I feel extremely awkward sometimes when I really am trying to hear what they're saying. I went to the market with my friend Karen and her 10 month olf baby boy, Isaiah. Her husband Josh is in school and they're Pennsylvanian.
Josiah started classes on Tuesday and so far so good. He seems to really like his teachers and classmates. I keep asking him if he needs to study and I'm a little anxious that he isn't in the library 24/7 yet but it is the first week. I like having him to myself for a few more days before the "educational-affair" starts. (This meaning he becomes married to his studies which I hear from other V.I.P.'s (or "very important persons/spouses) is pretty intense).
I started my first full day at the prep school on Thursday and can say now that music education is the way to go. I was most surprised by how much I loved teaching the 3-4 and 5-6 thth grade. They were so excited and into everything I taught and sang and I could get their attention pretty easily. I felt right at home with the 7-9th grade class, since that age is what I student taught at last year. I just was a little crazy and wacky and so I think they felt like it was okay to sing and move to music without being embarrassed. So far I have about 60 kids total with 7 classes of half hour each. I wish I could have at least two days a week to teach but for now it is just all day on Thursday's. I still come into the school on the off days to help and plan. Starting next week I'll have 9 students for after school piano lessons. I get to use the keyboard and room at the school and I get paid directly. I am still shocked that I can get paid doing something that I absolutely love and was meant to do. My friends at home and mom have been tremendously encouraging and helpful when it comes to teaching these little ones since I have never had the privileged to teach there. I'm finding that energy and a willingness to be silly can go a long way in the classroom. Thank God I've got plenty of silliness in me!
Can I just say that I feel at home here and I have been amazed at how well the transition has been for us to be here?! Seriously, I thought I would be homesick so much more and although I get teary-eyed thinking of you I feel well taken care of and at home here. I love the messy, unorganized downtown, being a minority, crazy, unpredictable weather, different represented cultures and kind-hearted people here. I miss the cool, rainy, pacific northwest, god coffee, my piano, cheap food, and of course friends and family there. This is a season of our lives and both Josiah and I are amazed at the adventure we are a part of. Keep loving us, calling, praying, and sending emails because it feeds my soul. We love you all and can't wait for you to come visit!
Jakki and Josiah
Josiah started classes on Tuesday and so far so good. He seems to really like his teachers and classmates. I keep asking him if he needs to study and I'm a little anxious that he isn't in the library 24/7 yet but it is the first week. I like having him to myself for a few more days before the "educational-affair" starts. (This meaning he becomes married to his studies which I hear from other V.I.P.'s (or "very important persons/spouses) is pretty intense).
I started my first full day at the prep school on Thursday and can say now that music education is the way to go. I was most surprised by how much I loved teaching the 3-4 and 5-6 thth grade. They were so excited and into everything I taught and sang and I could get their attention pretty easily. I felt right at home with the 7-9th grade class, since that age is what I student taught at last year. I just was a little crazy and wacky and so I think they felt like it was okay to sing and move to music without being embarrassed. So far I have about 60 kids total with 7 classes of half hour each. I wish I could have at least two days a week to teach but for now it is just all day on Thursday's. I still come into the school on the off days to help and plan. Starting next week I'll have 9 students for after school piano lessons. I get to use the keyboard and room at the school and I get paid directly. I am still shocked that I can get paid doing something that I absolutely love and was meant to do. My friends at home and mom have been tremendously encouraging and helpful when it comes to teaching these little ones since I have never had the privileged to teach there. I'm finding that energy and a willingness to be silly can go a long way in the classroom. Thank God I've got plenty of silliness in me!
Can I just say that I feel at home here and I have been amazed at how well the transition has been for us to be here?! Seriously, I thought I would be homesick so much more and although I get teary-eyed thinking of you I feel well taken care of and at home here. I love the messy, unorganized downtown, being a minority, crazy, unpredictable weather, different represented cultures and kind-hearted people here. I miss the cool, rainy, pacific northwest, god coffee, my piano, cheap food, and of course friends and family there. This is a season of our lives and both Josiah and I are amazed at the adventure we are a part of. Keep loving us, calling, praying, and sending emails because it feeds my soul. We love you all and can't wait for you to come visit!
Jakki and Josiah
No comments:
Post a Comment