Goodbye St. Kitts...
Hello Nevis! City of Charleston
There is so much going on and to cover I almost don't know what to say...almost. But if you've known me for more than five minutes you know that I can talk until the sun goes down when I really need to.
Saturday was a fun filled day hiking in the island island of Nevis. (pronounced N-i-V-I-S using IPA or for those none singers "neeeeeeevis") Josiah and I met some peeps in the Holistic Club, a club for more "natural" meds, and went on the ferry. I even met a girl from Portland, OR, I've met one other Oregonian since I've been here! I have been dying to get over to Nevis and see what it's like and I was soooo excited to ride on a boat! I am my mother's daughter. It was refreshing to have sea breeze in my face and the salty water beneath my feet. (Minus the incessant sand!!!)
When we got to Nevis we went for a 3 hour, yes a three hour, hike up jungle and lack of trail. Jason, Beth, Dan, Janna, Ryan, and Jaymis- you would have LOVED it. I was on my hands and knees a few times to get up the slimy path and there was always some bug or plant touching you. Linn, Belinda, and Mom would have hated that! =-)
The guide, with his ashen beard and googly-eyed glasses, told us a trillion things about the medicinal plants. "This one will treat ______ ailment. But too much will kill you!" or "Women, not to be sexist, but this one will cause abortions and clean out your uterus if you touch it" or "Crush these leaves, smell and touch them...but don't eat the berries because they'll KILL you!" I enjoyed every minute of it.
We were stuck there until 5 because we were stupid and got a round trip ticket when it is no more expensive to buys one ways. So we had to wait for our boat to come back while everyone went home at 3. Nevis is a bit cleaner and has better roads. The cows and dogs looked better fed but it isn't as hopping as Basseterre, St Kitts. When we got off the boat, it felt like home.
No comments:
Post a Comment